Leiden University Career Zone
Diversity and labour market
More and more organisations are striving for diversity in their workforce. They find it important that all available talent is taken into consideration in matters of staff recruitment, stimulation and retention. More diversity means more creativity and innovation. Many organisations consider it important that their workforce accurately reflects the society we live in.
What is diversity?
The word diversity is understood to mean all aspects in which people can differ. For example ethnic background, nationality, faith, gender, orientation, disability, social background, age etc.
Diversity and applying for jobs
Diversity-orientated organisations welcome applications from all candidates, irrespective of their background. They select new staff members on the basis of the profile they are seeking and the motivation of the candidates.
However not all organisations are actively engaged in creating a diverse workplace. When searching for job vacancies you can research this matter by checking whether a company is a signatory to any agreements concerning the importance of diversity in the workforce.
Take a look, for example, on the website of Workplace Pride .
Networks have been created within many organisations for staff members who, as a minority group, would like their voices to be heard. For example there are groups for female, LGBTQ and young staff members, as well as staff of different ethnic backgrounds.
Associations in Leiden
- Leiden University networks and community
- Leiden University Pride
- SIB, student association for international relations
- AEGEE-Leiden, part of the European student network
- ISN Leiden, International Student Network
- SV Sabr, Islamic students association
- Leiden Students Ekklesia, faith-based association
- Contrast Leiden, association with Christian roots that aims to bring Dutch and international students together
- Leiden United, association that aims to bring Dutch and international students together
- Being the first, the Leiden University wide network for first generation students
Other interesting associations