Leiden University Career Zone
Are you looking for a job abroad? Here’s how you can get started.
- Decide where, in which country, you’d like to work
- Search for information about the country, for example:
- the culture
- what it’s like to live there
- how people interact with each other in a work environment
- visas and work permits:
If you’re an EU citizen and want to work in another EU country you won’t need a work permit. If you plan to work in a non-EU country you’ll probably need a visa and/or work permit. Visit the governmental websites of the country where you’d like to work to find out if you need a visa/permit and how to request one.
- how much people in your profession generally earn
- the income and costs you should take into consideration
- how to apply for jobs in that country:
Find out about local customs and habits. Different countries have different ways of doing things in terms of how a CV should look, what you’ll be asked in job interviews, and how employers and applicants communicate with each other.
On GoingGlobal (ULCN login) you’ll find Country Career Guides which offer advice and tips per country.
- Have your diplomas formally recognised and evaluated by the government in your home country. For Dutch diplomas you can find more information on the website of the Nuffic, the Dutch organisation for internationalisation in education.
- Start applying for jobs. You can find information on how to get started here. Two additional tips:
- Draw up your CV according to the norms of that country
- Start networking with connections who work, or have worked, in that country and ask their advice.
- Have you found a job? Congratulations! Make sure to arrange all the required legal documentation. If you want to check you have everything covered contact the embassy in your new home country.
Want to know which international competences you have? Click here.
Foreign job websites:
Country career guides, jobs, internships, employer directoryRead more (ULCN login)..
Job portal ENG
Leiden University Job portal
Find vacancies for internships, volunteer jobs and interesting side jobs here!
Check the vacancy websites per vacancy type and sector.
Skill needs per countryRead more