Leiden University Career Zone
A good profile is an important starting point!
The LinkedIn profile can be seen as your online resume, which is available 24/7. It serves multiple purposes, including the representation of a comprehensive resume. Where you are bound to a maximum of 2 A4 pages CV, LinkedIn allows you lots of text space for more detailed information. Thus, you can consider LinkedIn as a comprehensive resume. This does not change the fact that information must be relevant and formulated concretely, also on the LinkedIn profile.
Search and be found
In addition, the LinkedIn profile is a platform where you can be found as a job seeker. By indicating on your LinkedIn profile that you are looking for an internship / (side) job, you can be detected and approached by recruiters or employers.
LinkedIn can be seen and used as:
- An online social network focused on the labour market: where employers, employees and job seekers can come together.
- A networking channel: where you can easily make contact with others, via personal connections, groups and organisations.
- An online professional address book: where you can request background information and contact details from your connections and others.
- A job vacancy database: where vacancies, internships, projects and volunteer opportunities are shared by people and organisations, both within their personal networks and in groups. You can also sometimes apply for jobs via LinkedIn.
- News channel: where experts and organisations share updates, articles, news and research within their networks and in groups.
- Social business platform: where commercial goals are pursued via connections, groups and organisations
Having a good LinkedIn profile is an important first step.
Read more here about the requirements for a good profile:
- Guide and manual “The ultimate guide to the perfect LinkedIn profile”
- A website with useful tips for students.
- LinkedIn alumni Leiden University
- Zety – "How to optimize a LinkedIn profile to get more jobs"